Experiences to travel Cat Ba Island – Cat Ba Island (Cat Ba Pearl Island) is the largest of 367 islands making up the Cat Ba Archipelago. Lying next to the beautiful Lan Ha Bay, Cat Ba is highly appreciated by many visitors for its clear water, fine white sand, calm and safe waves. For this reason, Cat Ba Island has always been considered one of the must-visit destinations of Vietnam. Follow us and we will show you valued experiences to explore the beauty of this marvelous island.
Table of contents
- 0.1 Ideal time to travel to Cat Ba
- 0.2 Transportation to travel Cat Ba
- 0.3 3. From another place
- 1 Where to stay in Cat Ba – Experiences to travel Cat Ba
- 2 Recommended restaurants – Experiences to travel Cat Ba
Ideal time to travel to Cat Ba
Tourists can travel Cat Ba at any time of the year, but the most appropriate is still around May, June, July – the ideal time for vacation, escape the heat of summer. However, there are differences between domestic and foreign visitors. International visitors usually like to visit Cat Ba around November to March, while domestic tourists prefer to visit Cat Ba during the period from April to October each year.
In particular, tourists often come to Cat Ba on weekends or public holidays. So all hotel rooms or services’ prices are much higher (often increase by 2-3 times) than usual. If you have time, please go on the middle of the week to avoid the crowded and be served better. In order to have enough time to have fun, admire, swim and enjoy many famous specialties you need at least 2 days 1 night.
Transportation to travel Cat Ba
There is a plenty of ways to come to Cat Ba island.
1. From Hai Phong city center
- Traveling by speedboat (hydrofoil boat) in Ben Binh, the ticket price is about 200,000 VND – 250,000 VND / person. It takes about 45 minutes to Cat Ba.
- Take a ferry or speedboat to avoid waves at Dinh Vu wharf but the speed is slow. It takes about 2-3 hours with connecting ferries and this route is suitable for people who like to bring cars or motorbikes with them.
- Going to Tan Vu – Lach Huyen Bridge: This bridge connects the Hanoi – Hai Phong highway with Cat Hai district. After passing the bridge, you take a ferry from Got dock (Ben Got) to Cai Vieng wharf. Then continue to move to the center of Cat Ba island. However, please note that in peak season Got ferry is often overloaded, congestion, especially on weekends.
2. From Hanoi
From Hanoi you have 2 ways to go to Cat Ba, the first way is to go by train , motorbike or bus to Hai Phong and then come to Cat Ba via the direction above. The second way more convenient is that you take a direct bus from Hanoi to Cat Ba. At the present, there are many bus companies that open the direct route to Cat Ba. As a result, you can save your time of buying tickets or waiting so long in ferry.
Some bus companies have direct routes Hanoi – Cat Ba for your reference below:
Hoang Long bus company
Pick up: Nước Ngầm Bus Station (Hoang Mai – Hanoi)
Drop off: Cat Ba
Travel time: 3 hours 55 minutes
Ticket price: 10-15$
Good Morning Cat Ba bus
Pick up: Old Quarter (Hoan Kiem – Hanoi)
Drop off: Cat Ba town center
Travel time: 3 hours 40 minutes (at 07:30, 10:30, 14:00)
Ticket price: 20$
Cat Ba Express Bus
Pick up: Hanoi Office: 37B Nguyen Huu Huan, Hanoi.
Drop off: Cat Ba Office: Số 219, Đường 1/4, Cát Bà.
Travel time: 3 hours 20 minutes(at 07h30, 10h45, 14h00, 07h20)
Ticket price: 20$
3. From another place
For visitors from TP. Ho Chi Minh City or Da Nang, you can go by plane to Hai Phong airport. Then take a taxi to Binh wharf to take the boat to the island.
Where to stay in Cat Ba – Experiences to travel Cat Ba
Here are some hotels in Cat Ba with reasonable price and good services for your reference.
1. Catba Island Resort & Spa – Cat Ba Island Resort and Spa
Address: Cat Co 1, Cat Ba Island, Cat Hai District, Bien Cat Ba Town, Cat Ba Islands.
Lowest room price: $ 49.72.
This is a 4-star hotel designed based on a harmonious combination between French architecture and Vietnamese tradition. It is rated by customers for a beautiful view, good service, suitable for relaxation and spa.
2. Monkey Island Resort – 3 star hotel
Address: Beach 2, Cat Pin Island, Cat Ba, Hai Phong, Monkey Island, Cat Ba Islands
Lowest price: 49.27 USD
The hotel is voted for nice view, good food and friendly staff, suitable for weekend and honeymoon travel.
3. Cat Ba Sandy Beach Resort – 3 star hotel
Address: Nam Cat Island, Ben Beo, Cat Ba Islands
Lowest price 42.43 USD
The service is quite similar to other hotels, but there are also many entertainment such as fishing, private beach, water sports…
4. Hung Long Harbour Hotel – 3 star hotel
Address: 268, Street 1 April, Cat Ba Town Beach, Cat Ba Islands
Lowest price 36.63 USD
It takes about a 10-minute to walk from Cat Co 2nd and 3rd beach and Cat Ba main port, about 5 minutes drive to the bustling market.
5. Sentosa Hotel – 2 star hotel
Address: 182 Nui Ngoc, Cat Ba town, Cat Ba archipelago
Lowest price: 20$
The hotel is located in a quite convenient position for go swimming and shopping. It takes about 5 minutes to walk to Cat Ba port and about 10 minutes to walk to Cat Co beach and market.
Recommended restaurants – Experiences to travel Cat Ba
Cat Ba is famous for its delicious seafood. The best known dishes are: sam trứng nướng, tu hài, grouper (cá song), sea bass (cá vược), cobia (cá giò), bề bề. Two interesting culinary experiences you should not miss are: eating seafood on a floating restaurant and enjoying special dishes cooked by local chefs. Please ask about price before ordering and here are some name of restaurants for you to choose.
1. Quang Anh Cat Ba Floating Restaurant – Famous restaurant in Cat Ba
Address: Cai Beo Bay, Cat Hai
Opening hours: 8am – 10pm
Phone number: 0313 888 395
With a menu of fresh seafood dishes, the restaurant always attracts many customers
2. Phuong Phuong Cat Ba Restaurant
Address: 232 Street April 1st
Opening hours: 8am – 10pm
Phone number: 031 3888 254
This is a cheap and delicious restaurant in Cat Ba with spacious and airy space. In addition to seafood, the restaurant also serves other delicious dishes at affordable prices.
3. Quang Tung Cat Ba Restaurant
Address: 250 Street 1 April
Opening hours: 8am – 10pm
Phone number: 0914 276 286
This is a highly recommended with a plenty of tasty dishes. You can choose the seafood yourself in the whole seafood tank and have the restaurant staff cook it as your favorite dish.
4. Green Mango Cat Ba – Very hot restaurant in Cat Ba
Address: Area 14 Lot 4, Street 1 April
Opening hours: 7am – 10pm
Phone number: (031) 3 887 151
This is a very hot restaurant in Cat Ba which have many foreigners come here.
Above are general Experiences to travel Cat Ba Island. Don’t miss us because we will come back soon with Explore Lan Ha Bay.