Go to Cat Ba island by motobike was my best experience. I found my happiness, freedom and freedom! Today, let Hai Phong Tours shares my all travel experience after my trip in June 2020.
Where is Cat Ba island?Cat Ba Island is island district of Hai Phong. It is the largest of the 367 islands spanning 260 km2 (100 sq mi) that comprise the Cat Ba Archipelago, which makes up the southeastern edge of Lan Ha Bay in Northern Vietnam. Cat Ba island has a surface area of 285 km2 (110 sq mi) and maintains the dramatic and rugged features of Halong Bay. Local people usually come here in weekend to relax, swim and enjoy freshair. So if you come here in weekends, the island’s so crowded. But when you come here in weekdays, the island’s less touristy and you are free to explore your own island.
How to Go to Cat Ba island by motobike?Before you go, make sure you have proper helmet (3 layers), fullfil petrol, well checked tires. If you are not familiar to the way to, Google map takes important part in this trip! Remember, motobike is not allowed on highway. There are 2 ways that you can drive you motobike to Cat Ba island: from Tuan Chau ferry harbor in Halong and Got ferry harbor in Hai Phong.
1. Go to Cat Ba island from Tuan Chau ferry harbor in HalongOn arrive in Tuan Chau ferry harbor, just go to ticket counter to buy ticket to Gia Luan harbor. Ferry schedule from Tuan Chau to Gia Luan harbor: 7h30’, 9h00’, 11h30’, 13h30’, 15h00’. Ferry schedule from Gia Luan to Tuan Chau: 9h00’, 11h30’, 13h00’, 15h00’, 16h00’.
Ticket fares Tuan Chau <> Gia Luan:
- Only passenger: 80.000VND/person/way
- Passenger with motobike: 90.000VND/bike/way
- Car under 9 seater: 450.000VND/car/way
- Van from 9-15 seater: 500.000VND/van/way
- 16-23 seater bus: 550.000VND/bus/way
- 24-29 seater bus: 600.000VND/bus/way
- Bus from 30 seater up: 650.000VND/bus/way
- Under 1 ton truck: 350.000-450.000VND/truck/way
- From 1-3 tons truck: 400.000-500.000VND/truck/way
- Truck from 3-5 tons: 450.000-550.000VND/truck/way
2. Go to Cat Ba island from Got ferry harbor in Hai PhongThis seems to be the shortest way to go even from Hanoi or from Hai Phong city. From city center, you may follow the Nguyen Binh Khiem road and head to Tan Vu – Lach Huyen bridge. When you reach the intersaction of 356 road, turn left and keep straight . You will see the Got ferry harbor next to petrol station. On arrival at Got ferry harbor, just go to ticket counter to buy ticket to Cai Vieng harbor on Cat Ba island.
Ticket fares Got harbor <> Cai Vieng harbor:
- Passenger: 12.000VND/person/way
- Motobike: 45.000VND/way
Where to go on Cat Ba islandFollowing are the most attractive places that can be visited by motobike.
Cat Co beachesThere are 3 Cat Co beaches: 1, 2 and 3. At the moment, the Cat Co 1 is under mainternance. So the Cat Co 2 and Cat Co 3 are available now. When I reached the Cat Co 3 in the afternoon (around 17h), the waves are very strong with high tide and coved sand. If you are looking for strong feeling, this’s perfect!
- Use of locker: 40.000VND/locker
- Fresh water shower: 30.000VND/person
- Use of toilet: 5.000VND/person
- Tube rental: 50.000VND/unit
- Life vest: 50.000VND/unit
- Ball: 200.000VND/unit
Tung Thu beachAre you looking for more quite beach on Cat Ba island? Tung Thu beach is good choice. Waves here sound weaker than in Cat Co but Tung Thu beach has larger sandbank that allow tourists to hold event, party, games. The beach is located around 2km away from Cat Ba town, so I do not find it too far to go.
- Use of locker: 30.000VND/locker
- Fresh water shower: 20.000VND/person
- Use of toilet: 5.000VND/person
Cannon fortThe Cannon fort Cat Ba is located 2km away from the town, nearby Beo harbor. Entrance fee: 80.000VND/person
What to expect in Cannon fort Cat Ba?
- Fortress headquarters: The entire fortress is under the direction of the Headquarters. Orders from Headquarters will be issued to all departments. This is also the place where the fortress commander lives.
- No. 1, No. 2 cannons: Cannon No. 1 and No. 2 control the entire gateway of Hai Phong port.
- Military airport: This place used to be the place for transporting helicopter of the French army.
- Exhibition room: This room records traces of a time when Cat Ba bravely fought with the weapons, tools kept from the mighty wars.
- Bomb bunker: The bomb bunker is also known as the U-shaped tunnel.
- Enjoy sunset on Lan Ha bay: From Cat Ba cannon fort’s peak, you are free to enjoy cup of coffee and admire sunset on the Lan Ha bay.